Friday, October 14, 2005

Now it's worth it

I don't play lotteries. Aside from the odds of winning, which are about as close to zero as you can get, mathematically, it just seems like tossing money into the fire. The not so dirty little secret of each state that runs a lottery is that those who have the least amount of disposable income end up spending the most of lottery tickets. I once saw a gentleman, who appeared to be of modest means, drop a hundred bucks on quick picks while I was buying a newspaper.

Having said that, have you noticed that Powerball is now up to like $300 Million? OK, now I'll take the plunge and plunk down my buck. When the jackpot is sitting at the tiny numbers like $10 million, $50 million, etc, what's the use? I can't even calculate how astronomical the odds are of winning this thing, but suffice to say that if you didn't buy a ticket at all, you would have just about the same chance as me.

I'll let you know how I did!

(Hmm....$300 mil, after taxes I'd clear about $160 mil...which would result in a lovely "I Quit" on Monday morning. Wish me luck.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bish, If you quit on Monday morning can I contract your services at a hire rate? :) Good luck and I am with you on the quitting thing. Stick it to the man I say.

sl

Anonymous said...

Who wouldn't quit? It would be so tempting to tell off quite a few folks as I'm going out, but in the end, I'd overnight any company property I had with a printed "I QUIT" on top.