Monday, March 06, 2006

Am I Being Monitored? I’ll Probably Find Out.

Now that Bush, Cheney and the neocon gang want to be all up in our personal business (see Act, Patriot and Tap, Warrantless Wire), I began to wonder what behavior, if any, I would personally do which could result in a visit from Big Brother. This blog is pretty much non-political, so I doubt it would turn up in any high powered searches (until now, perhaps). I don’t recall any phone conversation where I trashed the current administration, as most of those rants were done face-to-face.

Oh wait – I’ve recently made a few trips to my local public library, and was browsing for books when I did a search for Al Franken. Now, I like Franken, ever since the salad days of Saturday Night Live in the 70’s, he has consistently made me laugh. I recall seeing him at a corporate event a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed him. His books balance facts, heavy sarcasm, and intelligence to make his points. I don’t agree with everything he says, but nonetheless he is a very enjoyable read, and listen on his Air America radio show.

I found the book I was looking for, Lies and The Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right, and grabbed a copy. While in the aisle, I also came across, then checked out these other items:

When You Ride Alone, You Ride With Bin Laden, by Bill Maher
Bushwacked!, by Molly Ivans
Stupid White Men, by Michael Moore

I read those, then went back and picked up the following:

Dude, Where’s My Country?, by Michael Moore
The Truth (with Jokes), by Al Franken

Man, I’m screwed. I mean, if they’ve been poking around vegetarians and nuns, what would they do with me? The WARNING: LEFTY EXTREMIST alarms were probably ringing like crazy at the NSA. Maybe I should go back and grab a Rush Limbaugh, Bill O’Reilly or Ann Coulter book to balance it out. (Truthfully, I have read books by O’Reilly and Coulter, and got them from this library, but that was before the snooping began.) That would probably confuse the hell out of the poor schlub who was on Library Duty that day.

Guess if you don’t hear from me for awhile, assume the worst. Welcome to 1984.

No comments: