Sunday, March 25, 2007

Random Thoughts: Language


With a nod of respect to my all time favorite stand-up comic, George Carlin….an homage:


Isn’t “Pre-owned” the same way of saying “new”? I always though “pre” meant “prior to”, not “previously”. Another example of lazy language.


Why do people refer to the canned treat as “Tuna Fish”? What else can tuna possibly be? You never hear anyone say “Pass me some of that Turkey Bird, please.”


Why do “fat chance” and “slim chance” both mean “virtually no chance”?


From baseball, why are wild pitches always “uncorked”?


Why aren’t happy people ever described as being “gruntled”? “Disgruntled” is used all the time when talking about angry or sad folks, right?


For that matter, have you ever furled something? Flags are always unfurled, but rarely furled.


Why is it suddenly difficult for people to spell “lose”? Seems like everywhere I look, people are sounding out the long “o” sound and spelling it “loose”.


These are the things I think about when I’m stuck on the train with no iPod or reading material.

No comments: