Monday, February 13, 2006

Cool Site Recommendation: Television Without Pity

TWOP

Are you a TV fan? C’mon, it’s okay to admit it, you’re among friends. Guilty pleasure, perhaps?

If so, this is the site for you. I recall the day I stumbled upon it back in 2001, when I was doing a search for sites about Big Brother 2. (I realize by typing that how pathetic it sounds). Once I found it, I was hooked forever, and it is a site I visit daily.

This advertiser supported site boasts some of the coolest forums you will ever see, covering topics on all things TV, with the emphasis on snark. The name is apt, as very few topics are off limits. The boards show a community of members who show an amazing breadth of intelligence, humor, and snarky comments, which provides an addictive time consuming pastime. Be careful, however, if you decide to become a member and join in the fun: the boards have some very strict rules, and failure to adhere to these results in warnings and bans. Trust me, I speak from experience here. Read the FAQ, and when you’re finished, read ‘em again.

What sets it apart form other sites, though, are the Recaps. A number of shows are in rotation for which the staff provide long, detailed, recaps of each episode. While these are extremely useful if you’re trying to catch up on missed viewings, you will love reading them even if you’ve watched. The writers are outstanding, and the recaps are gold. (Personal fave: the amazing Miss Alli). Reading these talented scribes tear down Reality shows is about as much fun as you can imagine, but it’s also insightful to read how shows like 24 or Battlestar Gallactica are dissected.

I suppose the highest praise I can muster is that I’ve actually taken up watching shows based on them being recapped by TWoP. I now would not dream of missing The Amazing Race after reading the boards and recaps. It’s even sweeter when you begin to watch a show, then find out it has joined the rotation on the site.

If you love TV, or if you love yelling at your TV, this is the best place to visit. What are you waiting for?

No comments: